1866( January) – Joseph Jackson, Jr., acquired control of the company and resumed full operations the following March.
1881 (March 15) – Sold to Richmond City Railway Company.
1887 (March 23) – City Council adopted an ordinance granting a franchise to the Richmond Union Passenger Railway Company to operate an electric operated street railway system in Richmond. This was to be the first public electric streetcar system in the world.
1887 (May 5) – Ground broken for laying rail.
1888 (January 9) – Company opened its first electric line with six cars. This first electric streetcar system served as a demonstration model for municipalities and countries from all over the world.
1888 (May 8) – Continuous electric streetcar operation began and remained in effect until buses replaced streetcars.
1925 – Bus system purchased by Virginia Railway and Power Company; then purchased by Virginia Electric and Power Company.
1944 – Securities & Exchange Commission directed Virginia Electric and Power Company to confine activities to its electricity business.
1944 (December 29) – Virginia Transit Company purchased the transit systems in Richmond and Norfolk and took over operations.
1945 (July 1) – Virginia Transit Company becomes part of the United Transit Company.
1947 (May) – Main Street and Westhampton Streetcar lines are motorized. Virginia Transit Company began conversion to motor business.
1949 (November 25)– Buses replace electric trolleys. Ten streetcars make their last run.
1962 – American Transportation Enterprises, Inc. acquires controlling interest in United Transit Company.
1967– Most of the fleet is air-conditioned.
1973 – Federal, state and local funds were used to purchase the assets of the Virginia Transit Company and a new public service company was set up, Greater Richmond Transit Company. GRTC was wholly owned by the City of Richmond. A one-half interest was later purchased by Chesterfield County. Henrico County declined to purchase a portion at that time.
1975– Service to Henrico County began.
1985– Trackless Trolleys introduced in the downtown area.
1995– New color scheme of the purple and black swoop is chosen.
1996– Electric buses begin operating.
1997– RideFinders and GRTC begin an association; CARE (Community Assisted Ride Enterprises) begins paratransit service.
1998– C-VAN implemented for welfare to work participants.
2001– Low-Floor Buses increase accessibility for individuals with disabilities and senior commuters; vans added to service; LINK service into Chesterfield County begins.
2002– Commuter Center is moved from 6th St. Marketplace to City Hall.
2003– Express service to Petersburg is launched. Service in Henrico is extended to include VA Center Commons Mall and J. Sergeant Reynolds Community College. GRTC introduces easy-to-use Local & Express Ride Guides.
2004 – Established a Reduced Fare Program for Senior passengers.
2004 (December 6) – Lunch Time Express service begins in downtown Richmond.
2005 – GRTC launched the new Trip Planner in August. Express service returned to Chesterfield. GRTC fleet was equipped with Video Surveillance System.
2007 (May 21) – GRTC launches Express service between Richmond and Fredericksburg.
2007 (August 28) – GRTC breaks ground on their new Corporate Headquarters - Bus Maintenance Facility on Belt Boulevard.
2008 – GRTC voted "Best Transit System in North America for 2008" by The American Public Transportation Association.
2010 – GRTC moves all operations into their new Corporate Office/Bus Maintenance Facility on Belt Boulevard.
2012 – GRTC adds first Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) powered vehicles to its CARE fleet.
2013 (July) – GRTC adds first Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) powered vehicles to its fixed route fleet.
2013 (October) – GRTC breaks ground for an on-site Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) pumping station.